Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A simple recipe for grilled salmon seasoned with hickory smoked salt and a wonderful marinade with fresh summer kiwi fruit and assorted seasonings and herbs. For a more robust flavor, feel free to add more chopped jalapeno and cilantro. Instructions listed are for grilling, but you can broil the salmon as well. Adjust cooking time according to the temperature of your broiler and the thickness of your salmon fillets.
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 kiwi, peeled and chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh dill, chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons hickory smoke salt (smoked)
- Add all ingredients (except salmon fillets and hickory smoked salt) in a shallow dish or gallon-size zip-lock bag. Mix the ingredients with a wooden spoon until well blended. Add the salmon fillets, and let salmon marinate 4-8 hours in the refrigerator.
- When ready to grill or broil, remove salmon from the marinade. It’s OK to have some remnants of the marinade on the salmon, but discard the excess marinade. Season both sides of all fillets with hickory smoked salt.
- Place salmon fillets on hot grill, and grill the first side for about 5 minutes. Turn once and grill or broil other side until salmon is done (about another 5-7 minutes). Cooking times can vary depending on thickness of the fillets and the temperature of your grill.
This was very good, but I agree with the previous reviewer that the kiwi got lost. I liked the herby flavor. Made for ZWT8 for The Fearless.
The kiwi got lost in this! It should have been brought into the final presentation of the dish as well. I know kiwi is used as a tenderizer but salmon doesn`t need tenderizing. I did enjoy this a lot but being kiwi was a RSC ingredient and seemed not there I have to rate this 4 stars. The oil is also way to much. I did reduce the oil to 2 tablespoons. Something I don`t like to do is change a RSC recipe, but had to. I did grill on first side till easy to remove from grill 4 minutes then an other 4 minutes on the flip side. Good luck and Thanks for good eats!
I was intrigued by this recipe because of the use of the kiwi in a marinade. I thought it was an imaginative use of a contest ingredient. I reduced the amount of the oil by half & had more than enough marinade to coat the 4 fillets which I did for the full 8 hours. The flavor is very herby. Next time I would reduce the rosemary by half strictly due to personal preference. I also had seeded the jalapeno and wouldn't next time. Everything grilled beautifully & this really is a no fuss, quick to prepare, & tasty meal. Served with new potatoes, fresh green beans, and summer tomatoes. Good luck in the contest!