The sugar and dill in this glaze is used to cure gravlax by Scandinavian-Americans in Minnesota, but the combination works just as well on the grill. This is a "Staff Favorite" at Food & Wine Magazine. This recipe also works well in the oven. The lightly caramelized sweet mustard glaze and rich, smoky flavors here will find echoes in an oak-aged Chardonnay.
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- fresh ground pepper
- vegetable oil, for the grill
- 2 lbs salmon fillets, skin on (One, 2-pound Salmon Fillet, skin on)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Toast mustard seeds over moderate heat until they darken and begin to pop, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk mayonnaise with mustard, dill, lime juice and brown sugar. Season with pepper. Set Aside.
- Light a gas grill and lightly brush grate with oil.
- Run your fingers over the salmon fillet, feeling for bones. Use tweezers to remove any bones you find.
- Brush skin side of salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place fillet on grill, skin side down, and spread the mustard glaze over the fish. Sprinkle with mustard seeds.
- Close grill and cook over moderate heat until glaze is golden and salmon is nearly opaque, about 25 minutes. Check on salmon and make sure skin does not begin to char. If skin does char move to cooler part of grill and reduce heat.
- Transfer the salmon to a platter and serve hot or at room temperature.
I agree with cyaos, the flavours definitely complimented the salmon. I baked the salmon at 350 for 20 minutes. I will definitely make this again!
This was a really good dish that complimented the salmon rather than overwhelming it. I served this with rice and green beans and my boyfriend loved it. I didn't even change anything which is rare for me. Thanks for posting a keeper!
DH isn't a fish person but this is so good that he asked for a second helping. I baked this at 400 for 15 mins.