Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The cucumber salad can be made hours in advance, and may be doubled if desired, make certain to pat dry the cucumber slices well before making the salad, soak the wooden skewers in cold water for a minimum of 30 minutes before threading on the salmon
- 2 large cucumbers (peeled, halved, seeded then thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 -7 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb salmon fillet (skin removed)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 wooden skewers
- For the cucumber salad (this may be done hours ahead) place the cucumber slices in a colander and toss with salt; let stand until several tablespoons of water has drained out (about 30-40 minutes).
- Pat dry with paper towels and transfer to a medium bowl, then add in onion slices.
- In a small bowl mix together the sour cream with vinegar and dill until combined; add to the slices and toss well to coat.
- Season with black pepper.
- Chill until ready to serve with the skewers.
- For the salmon; slice the salmon lengthwise into 12 long strips, then thread 1 strip onto 1 water-soaked wooden skewer.
- Repeat with remaining 11 strips.
- Place the skewers into a long shallow glass pan.
- In a bowl whisk together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, ginger, garlic and black pepper until well combined; pour over the skewers, then let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- When finished marinated transfer the marinade to a small saucepan; bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Set grill to medium-high heat.
- Lightly oil the grill grate.
- Cook the skewers for about 4 minutes per side, brushing with the marinade.
- Serve with the prepared cucumber salad.