Recipe by Abby Girl
This salad requires some work, but the flavours make it well worth the effort. Drizzling the veggies with the dressing as they come off the grill makes the salad even more flavourful because the dressing gets absorbed. The salad can be eaten warmed or at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon anchovy, rinsed, dried and minced (about 4)
- 1 garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 8 -10 red potatoes, small (halved or quartered, depending on size)
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed
- olive oil
- coarse salt
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb fresh tuna
- black pepper
- 6 ounces boston lettuce (or Bibb)
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed, dried and patted dry
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1⁄4 cup nicoise olive (or other good quality black olive)
- 1⁄3 cup basil leaves, fresh and cut into thin strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Dressing: In a food processor, combine the ingredients for the dressing, adding the oil slowly until combined. Season with salt and pepper. (dressing can be made ahead of time and chilled).
- Grill the Salad: Preheat the grill. Lightly coat the potatoes, onion, tomatoes and beans with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Lightly brush the tuna with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the potatoes over medium low heat and cook until they are fork tender and roasted looking, turning occasionally to keep them from sticking, 30 to 35 minutes total.
- Put the onion, tomatoes and green beans on a medium high part of the grill. Grill the veggies until they are lightly charred and tender, moving the ingredients around so they don't overcook.
- The onions will cook in 10 - 15 minutes; the tomatoes in 5 - 8 minutes; the beans in 4 - 6 minutes.
- As the veggies come off the grill, transfer them to a tray and drizzle with the dressing, tossing lightly and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Grill the tuna over medium high heat until it is slightly pink in the centre, about 4 - 6 minutes per side, (depending on preference). Let cool for a few minutes and slice.
- Line four salad plates with the lettuce and arrange the grilled veggies and tuna on top. Garnish with anchovies, capers, eggs and olives.
- Drizzle with a little more dressing, sprinkle with basil and serve.