Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A grilled salad with grilled cornbread (or polenta). All that's missing is some grilled steak or chicken! Substitute romaine lettuce for the radicchio as it also grills well. If you don't like arugula you can substitute any lettuce of your choice.
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 158.51 ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cornbread (homemade or store bought)
- olive oil
- 1 head radicchio, cut into quarters
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick round slices
- 946.36 ml baby arugula
- 236.59 ml cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 seedless cucumber, sliced thin
- 118.29 ml black olives or 118.29 ml nicoise olive
- 12 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces (optional)
- 59.14 ml fresh mint leaves, left whole (optional)
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley leaves, left whole (optional)
- Whisk together vinegar, sugar, if using, and mustard. Slowly add olive oil to form an emulsion. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare outside grill or stove-top grill pan and heat to high heat. Cut the cornbread into 1 inch wide strips; brush with oil on all sides. Brush onion slices and radicchio quarters with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill cornbread until grill marks appear, about 1 minute; repeat on each side. grill the onion until tender and golden, about 5 minutes per side. Grill the radicchio until it begins to wilt, about 1 minute.
- Cube the grilled cornbread. Rough chop the onions. Combine cornbread and onions with remaining salad ingredients.
- Toss salad with vinaigrette to taste and serve.