Recipe by Sydney Mike
This recipe was found on the melindalee.com website. It is great when served with Mango-Lime Relish (see recipe). Preparation time does not include the 2-3 hours needed for the shrimp to marinate.
Top Review by alligirl
I can't wait to serve these at a PARTY! OMGoodness, they are awesome! The soak in the rum marinade gave a subtle hint of flavor; I used 1 lb. of shrimp (21-25 sized) and really liked the flavor from the Bacardi Select black label dark rum that I used. Next time, I may re-heat and reduce the marinade, to glaze the shrimp with right before removing them from the grill. I like that I had never had anything like this before! Thanks so much for sharing, Sydney Mike. This will become a go-to recipe to impress!
- 32 shrimp, medium-size (about 2 pounds)
- 4 limes, juice of (about 8 tablespoons)
- 354.88 ml pineapple juice, canned
- 118.29 ml dark rum
- 29.58 ml cilantro, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml garlic clove, chopped
- 0.59 ml salt, to taste
- 0.59 ml ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean & trim shrimp & make 1/4-inch-deep incision on the top of each one (the side without the feet) from tail to head, then under cold running water, open the incision & wash away any brownish-black matter (including the thin, dark vein).
- In a large nonreactive) stainless steel or glass bowl, combine lime juice, pineapple juice, rum, cilantro & garlic, then salt & pepper to taste.
- Add shrimp, cover the refrigerate, allowing shrimp to marinate for as least 2 & not more than 3 hours.
- Remove shrimp from the marinade & set the shrimp aside, discarding everything else.
- Run a skewer through each shrimp, skewering it in the tail area & also in the thicker, upper area, fitting 8 shrimp on a 10-inch skewer. IF USING WOODEN SKEWERS, DO NOT LEAVE ANY GAPS BETWEEN THE SHRIMP!
- Place shewered shrimp on the grill over medium-high heat & grill about 3-4 minutes on each side, until the shells turn bright red & the meat is an even, opaque white.
- Remove shrimp from the grill & serve on a bed of Mango Lime Relish, either skewered or not, as you prefer.