Recipe by evelyn/athens
Using your bbq to make pizza is great - nothing beats the smokey-toasty flavour of the crust!
- 1 cup warm water (105F to 115F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 yellow bell peppers or 2 red bell peppers, cored,quartered lengthwise
- 1 large red onion, peeled,cut through root end into ½ inch thick wedges
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups crumbled chilled soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved,seeded,chopped
- 1 cup chopped green onion top
Directions See How It's Made
- For dough: Combine water and sugar in processor.
- Sprinkle yeast over; let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add oil, then 3 cups flour and salt.
- Process until dough comes together, about 1 minute.
- Turn dough out onto floured work surface.
- Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is sticky, about 5 minutes.
- Lightly oil large bowl.
- Add dough; turn to coat with oil.
- Cover bowl with plastic, then towel.
- Let stand in warm, draft-free area until dough doubles, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough.
- Knead in bowl until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- For toppings: Whisk first 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Let vinaigrette stand 15 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- Prepare bbq (medium heat).
- Arrange sausages, peppers and onion on baking sheet.
- Brush with some of vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill sausages until cooked through and peppers and onion until slightly charred and crisp-tender, turning and basting occasionally, about 12 minutes for sausage and 8 minutes for peppers and onion.
- Transfer sausage and vegetables to cutting board.
- Cut sausages into ½-inch pieces and peppers into thin strips.
- To finish: Add coals to bbq, if necessary.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Stretch out each piece on floured surface to 9-inch round.
- Place 2 dough rounds on grill.
- Grill over medium heat until top of dough puffs and underside is crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Turn rounds over.
- Grill 1 minute.
- Transfer to baking sheet with well-grilled side up.
- Repeat with remaining 2 dough rounds.
- Sprinkle each with ¼ of mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Top each with ¼ of sausage, peppers and onion, then with ¼ of goat cheese, tomatoes and green onions.
- Drizzle each with 1 ½ tblsps vinaigrette.
- Using large metal spatula, return 2 pizzas to grill.
- Close grill or cover pizzas loosely with foil.
- Grill until cheeses melt and dough is cooked through and browned, using tongs to rotate pizzas for even cooking, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to plates.
- Repeat grilling for remaining 2 pizzas.