Recipe by threeovens
For a change of pace grill your lettuce. This recipe includes a bleu cheese dressing, but it would make a great base for any salad you like. Use caesar dressing and croutons or try ranch dressing with grilled broccoli or asparagus or whatever you like. This makes far more dressing than you will use so bear that in mind when the nutrition information is calculated.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 6 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon shallot, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, bases trimmed but left intact, halved lengthwise
- olive oil, for brushing
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, blue cheese, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to let the flavors develop. The dressing will thicken as it sits and may need to be thinned with more milk and the seasoning adjusted.
- Heat grill to medium low. Lightly brush olive oil all over the romaine hearts, taking care not to break the leaves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the lettuce cut side down on the grill and cook until the outer leaves begin to char and wilt and the lettuce is warm and just barely tender all the way through to the core, about 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer the lettuce to a clean platter and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Place half a heart of romaine, cut side up, on each plate, top with about 2 tablespoons of the blue cheese dressing, or more to taste, and sprinkle with the crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.