When I told my friends that one of the best ways to eat salad is to grill it, they thought I was a little nutz. Till they tried it! The grilled flavor is easily imparted to the salad and the cheese and walnuts imbue a woodsy flavor. Great with grilled meats.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Salad
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- olive oil, for basting
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces (toasted in toaster oven or on stove top)
- 3 ounces gorgonzola, crumbles (blue cheese will work)
- salt and pepper
For the Dressing
- 1In a small bowl mix vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- 2Slowly stir in oils and 1 oz. of the cheese.
- 3Stir thoroughly but do not over mix.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Preheat gas or charcoal grill to high.
- 6Wash and dry both heads of Romaine.
- 7Cut each head in half lengthwise. Leave the leaves attached to the stalk so that the leaves remain attached at the ends.
- 8Use a pastry brush or spray bottle to baste the romaine halves with olive oil. Use enough to coat the leaves but do not soak.
- 9Salt and pepper Romaine halves to taste.
- 10Place Romaine halves on heated grill and close cover. Turn after 4 to 5 minutes. Grill for additional 4 or 5 minutes. When removed from grill the Romaine should be wilted, and only slightly charred on the ends.
- 11Place Romaine half on serving plate, cut side up. Drizzle ¼ of the dressing on each Romaine half and sprinkle remaining cheese and toasted pecan pieces on each serving.
- 12Serve warm.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Romaine Salad
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 534.9
- Calories from Fat 457
- Total Fat 50.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 711.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 11.8 g