Recipe by Dragonfly AZ
Saw this on a Food Network show called "Guy's Big Bite. It looked so good, I had to try it. The mix of flavors is wonderful!
Top Review by IndyEater
Really tasty! I used the Pancetta I had on hand. After I fried that I drained the meat and drained the grease as I have memory of Pancetta grease giving off a strong, unfavorable flavor. Hence, I sauteed the onion in a bit of olive oil. Added fresh tomatoes and olives to the grilled Romaine. Served this with a "Spachcock" Chicken we heard was great for our Green Egg. Check out the "Naked Whiz" site!!
- 6 heads romaine lettuce hearts
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbles
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon into small pieces.
- Add 1 Tbs olive oil to a large skillet on med-high heat.
- Add bacon to the pan. When it has started to cook and render down, add onions.
- Cook, stirring frequently until onions and bacon are done. Be careful not to burn.
- Carefully pour the vinegar into the pan and stir to deglaze the pan. Simmer for a few minutes, or until liquid is decreased by half. Turn heat down to lowest possible setting, just to keep warm.
- Cut lettuce in half lengthwise. Brush cut side with remaining olive oil (or hit it with a spray from a can).
- Place lettuce, cut side down on a hot grill for 2-3 minutes, just long enough to char it lightly.
- Remove from grill, and place cut side up on serving platter. Spoon the bacon mixture over the lettuce, dividing it evenly.
- Sprinkle blue cheese over lettuce.
- Add the black pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.