Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Saw this on a Food Network show called "Guy's Big Bite. It looked so good, I had to try it. The mix of flavors is wonderful!
- Cut bacon into small pieces.
- Add 1 Tbs olive oil to a large skillet on med-high heat.
- Add bacon to the pan. When it has started to cook and render down, add onions.
- Cook, stirring frequently until onions and bacon are done. Be careful not to burn.
- Carefully pour the vinegar into the pan and stir to deglaze the pan. Simmer for a few minutes, or until liquid is decreased by half. Turn heat down to lowest possible setting, just to keep warm.
- Cut lettuce in half lengthwise. Brush cut side with remaining olive oil (or hit it with a spray from a can).
- Place lettuce, cut side down on a hot grill for 2-3 minutes, just long enough to char it lightly.
- Remove from grill, and place cut side up on serving platter. Spoon the bacon mixture over the lettuce, dividing it evenly.
- Sprinkle blue cheese over lettuce.
- Add the black pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Really tasty! I used the Pancetta I had on hand. After I fried that I drained the meat and drained the grease as I have memory of Pancetta grease giving off a strong, unfavorable flavor. Hence, I sauteed the onion in a bit of olive oil. Added fresh tomatoes and olives to the grilled Romaine. Served this with a "Spachcock" Chicken we heard was great for our Green Egg. Check out the "Naked Whiz" site!!
Awesome recipe for a salad! So easy when you make the bacon dressing ahead of time. Grilling the lettuce takes just a couple of minutes. I chose to grill the other side too. I put the blue cheese on the table so each person could add their own.
This is truly a barbecue show stopper. The prep on this is make-ahead and easy. At cooking time your guests will stand the around the barbeque staring at you like you are a bit crazy. But just watch their faces as they tuck into this! I used a high end blue cheese and 12 year old balsamic vinegar. The flavour was magnificent. I served it with grilled chicken breasts that I sliced on the diagonal. 5 stars. Easy, Brilliant.