Saw this on a Food Network show called "Guy's Big Bite. It looked so good, I had to try it. The mix of flavors is wonderful!
- Cut bacon into small pieces.
- Add 1 Tbs olive oil to a large skillet on med-high heat.
- Add bacon to the pan. When it has started to cook and render down, add onions.
- Cook, stirring frequently until onions and bacon are done. Be careful not to burn.
- Carefully pour the vinegar into the pan and stir to deglaze the pan. Simmer for a few minutes, or until liquid is decreased by half. Turn heat down to lowest possible setting, just to keep warm.
- Cut lettuce in half lengthwise. Brush cut side with remaining olive oil (or hit it with a spray from a can).
- Place lettuce, cut side down on a hot grill for 2-3 minutes, just long enough to char it lightly.
- Remove from grill, and place cut side up on serving platter. Spoon the bacon mixture over the lettuce, dividing it evenly.
- Sprinkle blue cheese over lettuce.
- Add the black pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.