Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Pork Chop: 60 Recipes for Living High on the Hog by Ray "Dr. BBQ" Lampe.
Make and share this Grilled Romaine and Pork Chopped Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 4 boneless pork chops, about 1/2-inch thick
- olive oil
- black pepper
- 3 large romaine lettuce hearts, split in half lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into quarters
- 1 ear of corn, shucked
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
For the dressing
- 1⁄2 cup sweet barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare an outdoor grill to cook directly over medium-high heat.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients and whisk vigorously to blend. Set aside.
- Brush the chops lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush the Romaine, onion, bell pepper, corn and cucumber lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the chops on the grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown. Flip and cook another 4 to 5 minutes, until they reach an internal temperature of 150 degrees. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Put the onion, bell pepper, corn and cucumber on the grill. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly charred. Flip and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly charred. Leave the corn on until it's lightly charred on all sides. As the vegetables are done, transfer them to a plate and set aside. Place the Romaine halves on the grill, cut-side down, and cook to 4 to 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip and cook another 2 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned and wilted. Transfer the Romaine to a plate and set aside.
- With a sharp knife, cut the chops into bite-size pieces and set aside. Cut the onion, bell pepper and cucumber into large dice and set aside. Cut the kernels from the ear of corn and set aside. Split the Romaine halves down the middle, then chop them into bite-size pieces. Place the Romaine in a large salad bowl. Add the pork chops, onion, bell pepper, corn and cucumber. Whisk the dressing well again and pour half of it over the salad. Toss well. Add half of the remaining dressing and the Parmesan and toss well. Add the rest of the dressing if desired and check for seasoning; add salt and pepper if needed. Toss well before serving.