I modeled this sandwich after one I enjoyed at a little hole-in-the-wall coffee shop in Cardiff by the Sea, in Southern California. It was wonderful and so is this!
- Lay sliced bread on bread board.
- Paint tops of bread slices generously with melted butter.
- Flip bread slices over.
- Spread mayonnaise generously on each slice of bread.
- Assemble two sliced bread pieces with roast beef, cheese and 1/2 teaspoon diced green chilies.
- Sprinkle with salt. Top sandwiches with other two slices of bread, mayo side down, butter side up.
- Grill sandwiches on medium high heat griddle, with lots of butter on the grill beneath, until bottoms of sandwiches are golden brown and cheese begins melting.
- Carefully flip sandwiches over using two utensils and grill again until bottom bread is also golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Remove two sandwiches from griddle, slice each in half and arrange on two plates. Garnish plates.
- Serve with dill pickles, yellow mustard, prepared horseradish and lots of napkins.
- French fries, onion rings and cole slaw make wonderful additions to this meal.