Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a kebab/skewer style dish from SouthEast Asia. It's gluten free and made from glutinous short-grain rice. A great appetizer. For a gluten free diet-check all ingredients are labelled as GF (fish sauce can contain wheat/gluten). Can be cooked on a barbecue plate that has been lined with aluminium foil and sprayed with cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 birds eye chiles, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 pinch pepper
- 3 cups cooked glutinous rice, ensure well drained (use a short-grain rice)
- 6 skewers, pre-soaked in water
- Preheat the grill(broiler) to its highest setting.
- To make the dipping sauce- combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- For the Grilled RICE:.
- Beat the eggs with the fish sauce, sugar and pepper. Set aside.
- Divide the cooked rice into six portions and then form each portion into three balls. Press down on each ball to flatten.
- Thread three flat rounds onto each skewer.
- Line a grilling tray with aluminium foil and spray lightly with a spray cooking oil.
- Dip each rice skewer into the egg mixture. Shake off any excess and place the skewer on the lined grill tray.
- Grill the rice skewers until the rice is browned on one side. Turn the skewers over and brown the other side.
- Serve skewers with the dipping sauce.
- For children use a dipping sauce suitable that does not contain chilli eg plum or a mild satay.
These were good, but I did have some problems with them. I mainly wanted to see how they compared with my usual form of grilled riceballs, so this rating is not for the dipping sauce. I had a hard time making the flat round shapes you describe from such small amounts of rice and an even harder time skewering them. After two skewers, I just made disk shaped riceballs and dunked them. This worked much better for me. The flavor was good, and the egg mixture made for an interesting crust on these. They were GREAT for dipping!