Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from the Washington, DC, restaurant, DC Coast.
Marinade and Steaks
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, drained and wiped clean
- 4 rib eye steaks, trimmed of excess fat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 24 inches flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- Marinade: In blender, puree marinade ingredients, except steaks and salt and pepper. Combine marinade and steaks in zip lock bag. Seal; marinate in refrigerator overnight.
- Onions: In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook onion, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes, until caramel color. Transfer to small bowl and set aside.
- Remove steaks from marinade. Discard leftover marinade.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper and grill to desired doneness.
- Quesadillas: Place 2 tortillas on work surface. Scatter with blue cheese, jack cheese, and caramelized onions. Top each with a remaining tortilla.
- In small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 quesadilla, cook 1 1/2 minutes per side. Add 1 teaspoon oil to skillet when turning. Cook until crisp. Cook remaining quesadillas the same way.
- To serve: Place steaks on plates. Serve 2 quesadilla wedges with each steak.