A great meal for men and everyone else who loves thick rib eyes and onion rings. The only thing needed for a complete meal is french fries (or baked potatoes) and/or a tossed salad with apple pie and ice cream for dessert--comfort man-sized meal at its best! Recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit (September 2004).
- Pour the buttermilk into a large bowl. Add onion rings, toss to coat. Let stand one hour, tossing occassionally. Drain.
- Mix flour, onion powder, garlic salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add onion rings and toss to coat.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Prepare grill.
- Brush steaks with oil and sprinkle with garlic salt, onion powder and pepper.
- Pour oil in cast iron skillet to a depth of 2-3 inches and heat oil over medium high heat until oil is about 350-degrees F.
- Working with a few onion rings at a time, fry onion rings for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and then put on cookie sheet to keep warm in the preheated oven.
- Repeat until all are fried and drained and kept warm in oven.
- While cooking onion rings grill steaks to desired doneness (about 10 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the steaks).