Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A great meal for men and everyone else who loves thick rib eyes and onion rings. The only thing needed for a complete meal is french fries (or baked potatoes) and/or a tossed salad with apple pie and ice cream for dessert--comfort man-sized meal at its best! Recipe adapted from: Bon Appetit (September 2004).
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 onions, thinly sliced and seperated into rings
- 3 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 4 cups canola oil (for frying)
- 6 thick rib eye steaks (1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inch)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- garlic salt
- onion powder
- Pour the buttermilk into a large bowl. Add onion rings, toss to coat. Let stand one hour, tossing occassionally. Drain.
- Mix flour, onion powder, garlic salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add onion rings and toss to coat.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Prepare grill.
- Brush steaks with oil and sprinkle with garlic salt, onion powder and pepper.
- Pour oil in cast iron skillet to a depth of 2-3 inches and heat oil over medium high heat until oil is about 350-degrees F.
- Working with a few onion rings at a time, fry onion rings for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and then put on cookie sheet to keep warm in the preheated oven.
- Repeat until all are fried and drained and kept warm in oven.
- While cooking onion rings grill steaks to desired doneness (about 10 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the steaks).
What more can I say except... "THE BOMB"! The steaks were wonderfully seasoned, but the onion rings stole the show. I usually stink at trying to make them... but I had success with these (although my one sacrificial ring bit the dust at the start). I think I may try double dredging them next time to put a 2nd coating on them before frying. Either way they were great! The nice part about our dinner was that, although I seasoned the steaks, hubby manned the grill and didn't burn them. Yahoo! I served this meal along with Bacon Wrapped Steak Fries and a arugula salad. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. (Made for PRMR)
Oh these are wonderful! The onion rings turned out perfectly and the steaks are to die for! I did have to sub delmonicos for the steaks since my store didn't have the ribeyes. My DH loved his Father's Day dinner!
Just loved this combination!! I love onions with my steak, but usually I have the sauteed onions so this was a wonderful change. It is so flavorful and loved the added crunch from the onion coating!! Definitely will be a repeat on special occasions or for company. It was also very easy with using my mini deep fryer. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Rookie Recipe Tag Game.