Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Delicious hot reuben sandwiches for 4. Ready within 20 minutes. Two methods given. Can use deli meats, but wonderful with home-cooked corned beef.
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons thousand island dressing
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced corned beef or 1⁄2 lb pastrami
- 6 ounces sauerkraut, drained well
- 3 grinds fresh pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Spread 1 teaspoon mustard on each slice of bread. Spread 1 tablespoon dressing on mustard, then top with one slice of cheese.
- Divide corned beef between two slices of bread. Divide sauerkraut and place on meat; grind over pepper. Top with other slice of bread.
- Method 1: Pan Grilled:.
- Spread outside bread with 1 tablespoon butter. Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add sandwiches, unbuttered side down, and fry until golden, about 5 minutes each side. Turn and brown the other side.
- Method 2: Oven Grilled.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread one tablespoon butter on top of bread and then carefully flip sandwich over onto a sheet pan. Butter top piece of bread and bake for about 10 minutes, or until browned and cheese is melted.