Recipe by Dancer^
Grilled sweet peppers and other vegetables make a light filling for fajitas. You will need approximately a dozen 8-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in salted water for one hour.
- 1 large eggplant, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bell peppers, halved,deribbed,seeded and cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 red onion, cubed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb young zucchini, in 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 lb small button mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- prepared salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle eggplant cubes with the salt; toss well to coat.
- Place in a colander and let drain 30 minutes.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire.
- Thread presoaked wooden skewers with vegetables, alternating pieces of eggplant, bell pepper, red onion, zucchini and the whole tomatoes and mushrooms.
- Whisk olive oil with salt and pepper to taste; drizzle seasoned oil over vegetables.
- Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil; place on coolest areas of grill to warm.
- Grill vegetables over hottest area of grill, basting often with seasoned oil, just until lightly charred and softened (about 5 minutes).
- Use a fork to push grilled vegetables off skewers and onto warm tortillas.
- Serve two fajitas per person; pass salsa at table.