Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
WOW, heres a pumpkin/squash dish that isn't laden with extra sugars! These are so cool you'll love to present them to guests. At first glance this looks like it going to be involved, it isn't! I used my oven and then the broiler for the second "grilling" and a wok on the stove top for the veggies and it worked perfectly. I'm listing this as diabetic but be careful as it has a lot of natural sugars in it.
- 6 lbs pumpkin (6 1 lb white striped or 2 3-lb. pie pumpkins or a combination of both)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large sweet peppers, yellow, red, and orange seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 medium red onions, cut into wedges (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes or 2 cups cherry tomatoes or 2 cups plum tomatoes, wedges
- snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. To make pumpkin serving bowls, cut off the top of the pumpkins; discard tops; scoop out stringy pulp and seeds. (Use seeds in Toasted Pumpkin Seeds.) Place pumpkins bowls, cut side down, in 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons water. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or just until tender.
- In a small bowl combine melted butter, brown sugar, chili powder, and cinnamon. To grill pumpkin bowls, brush inside and cut edges of pumpkins with some of the butter mixture. Set aside remaining butter mixture. Place pumpkins, cut side down, directly on the rack of an uncovered grill over medium-hot coals (for a gas grill, preheat grill 10 minutes, reduce heat to medium). Grill for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned. Remove from grill to a platter. Cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- In a bowl toss sweet peppers and onion with oil, salt, and pepper. Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet or grill wok on grill over medium-hot coals (for a gas grill, use medium heat). Add vegetable mixture; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add tomatoes; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more or until tomatoes are heated through. Stir in reserved butter mixture (if using a grill wok, return vegetables to a large bowl before adding butter mixture). Toss gently.
- To serve, place grilled pumpkin bowls on a serving platter. Spoon vegetable mixture into pumpkin bowls scooping up some of the pumpkin pulp. Sprinkle with snipped cilantro. Makes 6 side-dish servings.