Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Serve with a bowl of tomato soup. Not your mama’s grilled cheese sandwich.
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 3 tablespoons mild Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- red wine vinegar (a few drops or to taste) or white wine vinegar (a few drops or to taste)
- 8 slices soft dark pumpernickel bread
- 8 ounces aged gouda cheese, sliced
- soft butter (or olive oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the mustard: combine the whole grain mustard and Dijon mustard in a bowl; stir in the parsley, tarragon, and garlic; add a few drops of vinegar to taste and set aside.
- To make the sandwiches: place 4 slices of bread on a work surface; add a layer of cheese, then top with a second piece of bread; press together and lightly spread or brush the outsides with butter.
- Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over med-high heat and add sandwiches; weight with a second fry pan and decrease heat to med-low.
- Cook until the first side is crisp and golden; turn and cook the second side until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with the Parsley-Tarragon mustard on the side, to dab on as desired.