Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Grilled pound cake with pineapple, fruit, and ice cream. A good no bake recipe for hot weather. If fresh pineapple is not available use canned pineapple slices, drained, 2 per serving. Substitute any fresh fruits in season. For a no-grill option, broil pound cake and pineapple separately on a rack set 6” from heat source until lightly browned, turning once, 1 or 2 minutes per side. Instead of cooking spray, use additional melted butter to coat pound cake slices. The original recipe from Woman's World magazine called for serving with caramel topping and dulce de leche ice cream. I skipped the caramel topping and served it with French vanilla ice cream.
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 6 slice purchased pound cake (1-inch thick)
- cooking spray or additional melted butter
- 3 slice fresh pineapple, peeled (1/2 inch thick)
- 354.88 ml strawberries, quartered
- 236.59 ml grapes, halved
- 311.84 g can mandarin oranges, drained
- 29.58 ml sugar
- caramel topping (optional)
- 473.19 ml vanilla ice cream
- Prepare grill for direct heat cooking.
- Stir together melted butter, 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Set side.
- Coat both sides of pound cake with cooking spray or brush with additional melted butter.
- Grill pound cake over direct heat until lightly browned, turning once, 30 seconds to 1 minute per side.
- Remove pound cake from grill. Place one piece of cake each on six serving plates.
- Brush tops of pound cake slices with butter mixture.
- Grill pineapple slices over direct heat until lightly browned, turning once, 1 or 2 minutes per side. If using canned pineapple slices adjust cooking time accordingly.
- Toss strawberries, grapes and oranges with 2 Tablespoons sugar.
- Cut each pineapple slice into quarters.
- Top grilled cake with fruit, caramel topping if using, and ice cream.
Made this when we had a couple of day-long guests from out of town & the 4 of us somehow managed to devour this absolutely wonderful dessert! It almost makes me want to do up a pound cake sundae every week! The strawberries were the best, but other than that, the fruits were great & I did include a homemade caramel sauce! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed as a THANK YOU for tagging in PRMR during the recent Tic-Tac-Toe event]