Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe by Steven Raichlen from "The Barbecue Bible". Posted for ZWT 2008.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (1/2 stick)
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices (each about 6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, both white and green parts, trimmed and finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium.
- Cut 4 sheets of heavy-duty foil, each 14 X 8 inches. Place a sheet of foil, shiny side down, narrow edge toward you on the work surface. Smear a tablespoon of the butter in the center of the bottom half of the rectangle (the half closest to you).
- Mix the soy sauce, sesame seeds, garlic and scallions.
- Top each buttered area with 1/4 of the potatoes and 1/4 of the soy sauce mixture. Season with salt and pepper before closing up the packages.
- Fold the top half of the foil over the potatoes and bring the top and bottom edges together. Fold the edges over several times to make a tight seal.
- When ready to cook, place the foil packages in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook until the packages are dramatically puffed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve, warning everyone to open the packages at arm's length, using knives and forks, as the escaping steam will be very hot.
Simple and good. We thought that the soy was a little bit strong, so I will cut back on that next time. Thanks diner for sharing. Made for ZWT9.
Fabulous dish, diner524. We really loved the seasonings used for this dish. The weather took a cool turn and brought a steady stream of rain today, so I chose to broil it in the oven, covered with foil, instead of grilling. I don't usually care for a heavy soy sauce taste, so I cut the amount of soy sauce in half. The It was perfect and totally yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for ZWT #9 (SE Asia).
Really love foil packet grilling...easy, tasty and no mess to clean! These are very good and perfect for a summer dinner. Made for ZWT #9.