Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is great to serve with grilled chicken or pork! Cook potatoes first, then move to an area without coals to keep warm while you are cooking your meat. Recipe can be varied to suit any dietary restrictions you may have. Can be baked in oven for 1 & 1 2
- 6 red potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 6 slices onions
- seasoning salt (optional)
- parsley (optional) or fresh herb (optional)
- Wash potatoes and slice in half LENGTHWISE.
- Tear off 12 squares aluminum foil. Place 1/2 of a potato on 6 squares.
- Place one onion slice on top of potato half.
- Put 1 tablespoon butter on top.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top with other half of potato.
- It should look like a "potato sandwich".
- Wrap tightly with foil.
- Rewrap with another square of foil to seal.
- Place directly on coals.
- Roast 30-45 minutes until tender.
- "Done-ness" can be tested by squeezing.
- Use caution when squeezing hot potatoes!
- Turn packages several times during cooking, so the potatoes do not burn!
- Unwrap first layer of "dirty" foil before taking to table.
This is one of our family favorites, we usually use paprika on the potatos.
These were really good. I liked the flavor the butter and onion gave to the potato. Definately tastier than a plain baked potato!
We loved these potatoes! I used russets and they baked up in about 45 minutes. The onion in the middle gives it a really yummy flavor. I love how easy this recipe is. Thank you for posting!