Recipe by Sharon123
This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe from Emeril Live, episode:Quick Grilling. You may use the oven to cook the potatoes if there isn't enough room on the grill. It is good cold too, but may need a little milk added to thin the dressing. Using fresh herbs really enhances the dressing. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed clean, patted dry with paper towel (or white potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large fennel bulb, stem removed, fronds reserved, wiped clean, bottom left intact, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled, ends trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
Herbed Buttermilk Dressing
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions (green onions)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill (1/4-1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves (1/4 tsp. dried)
- 1 -2 tablespoon reserved fennel leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the grill to medium-high(or turn on the oven to 400*F.).
- Place the potatoes in the center of a double thickness of heavy aluminum foil. Toss with 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Wrap up in the foil, turning up the edges to seal.
- Place the potatoes on the grill and cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and cut into wedges.
- Meanwhile, brush the fennel and onion slices on both sides with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper. Arrange on the grill and cook until marked and tender, and starting to turn golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes per side(or turn on broiler and broil,turning and watching closely).
- Remove from the grill and place on a cutting board. Roughly chop.
- Mix the potatoes, fennel and onions in a large bowl and while warm, toss with the Buttermilk Dressing. Adjust the seasoning, to taste, and serve immediately.
- Herb Buttermilk Dressing:.
- In a bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sour cream, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce.
- Add the scallions, parsley, dill and oregano. Add the chopped fennel fronds, to taste (1 to 2 tablespoons).
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the vegetables and toss to coat. Enjoy!
- Yield: 1 1/4 cups.