Recipe by smellyvegetarian
I just got this on a recipe card from my local Earthfare store, and I can't wait to try it out! What a unique use of both portobello mushrooms and the grill! It looks like there is a lot of "play" room here, as far as using different cheeses (feta?), veggies (sun-dried tomatoes?), and even brushes of vinegar...
Top Review by Maryland Jim
This is a great little recipe. Great flavor but (and this is why I'm only giving it a 4 rating) when the directions stated to "place mushrooms on the grill and fill each with the egg) some of the egg pours through the mushrooms. Some egg does remain, but next time, and I will make this again, I will but foil on the grill first. Made for ZWT8 and The Wild Bunch.
- 4 portabella mushrooms (large)
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons green onions, chopped
- 4 teaspoons red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove stems from mushrooms and scrape gills with a spoon.
- Place 1 T cheese and 1 t each of the onion and bell pepper into each mushroom cap. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and egg substitute, adding salt or pepper to taste.
- Place mushroom caps on the grill and fill each with the egg mixture.
- Grill, covered, 25 minutes or until the eggs are set. Serve immediately.