Great on the grill but you can cook these on the stove and finish them off in the broiler. To avoid watery portobellos, cook the downside facing up first, then turn them so all the moisture cooks away. Minimal effort, maximum dining pleasure. Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis Show: Everyday ItalianEpisode: Grilling Show
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for greasing grill pan
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stemmed (about 5 inches in diameter)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- garlic powder (optional)
- onion powder (optional)
- 1 dash red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 vine ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (small to medium)
- 8 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella cheese, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1Prepare the barbecue (medium-high heat).
- 2Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder and red pepper flakes on now if using.
- 3Drizzle olive oil on grill pan to prevent mushrooms from sticking. Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- 4Meanwhile, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil and garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Add the tomatoes, cheese, and basil and toss to coat. Season the tomato salad, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- 5Place 1 hot grilled mushroom gill side up on each of 4 plates. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Spoon the tomato salad atop the mushrooms, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to finish, about 1 tablespoon and serve.
- 6Drizzle with a splash of balsamic vinegar to finish off if desired. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Portobello Mushrooms With Tomatoes and Fresh Mozzarella
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.3
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 44.8 mg
- Sodium 369.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 15.3 g