1/3 Photos of Grilled Portobello Mushrooms & Shallots With Rosemary-Dijon
These can easily become the star attraction to your next grilled meal! For the grilling itself, build a moderate, medium-heat fire. The veggies come out tender and full of smoky flavor and can be served warm or at room temp. If grill marks do not appear after 5 minutes, adjust either the heat level or the position on the grill. I have made these with chunks of red onion with equally good results. These have great flavor! Interesting factoid: Once the mushroom reaches 4 to 6" in diameter, it is called a Portobello rather than a Portabella. Adapted from Cook's Illustrated magazine, May, 2009. Hope you enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 medium shallots, peeled
- 6 portabello mixed mushrooms, 5 inches in diameter (about 4 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1Thread shallots through roots and stem ends onto 2 metal skewers.
- 2Scrape most of the gills out of the mushrooms.
- 3Using sharp knife, cut ¼-inch slits, spaced ½ inch apart, in crosshatch pattern on non-gill side of mushrooms.
- 4Brush shallots and mushrooms evenly with ¼ cup olive oil and season with 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or 1 teaspoon table salt) and pepper to taste.
- 5Whisk remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, rosemary, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or ¼ teaspoon table salt) together in small bowl, set aside.
- 6Grill vegetables over medium heat, brushing with sauce, turning several times, until tender and caramelized, 16 to 18 minutes (move vegetables as needed to ensure even cooking).
- 7Transfer vegetables to platter; remove skewers from shallots and discard any charred outer layers.
- 8Re-whisk remaining marinade, pour over vegetables, and serve.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Portobello Mushrooms & Shallots With Rosemary-Dijon
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.5
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 31.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: