Recipe by DailyInspiration
A great vegetarian burger - great for summer time grilling or any time you want a delicious meatless burger. It has a ricotta/pesto sauce for the burger and is then topped with an arugula slaw. Sounds really delicious.
- 4 medium-large portabella mushrooms (stalks removed)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 buns (for burgers)
For the Herbed Ricotta
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
For the Arugula Slaw
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, shredded
- 1 small carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 tablespoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and peel the mushrooms. Using a small paring knife, cut slits into the mushrooms.
- Cut the garlic cloves into thin slices, then push into the holes in the mushrooms. Place in a dish, sprinkle thyme over them, then pour the vinegar and oil over them and let marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the herbed ricotta, mix the pesto with the ricotta and set aside. Mix all the ingredients for the arugula slaw together in a bowl.
- Heat a ridged grill pan and when smoking, add the mushrooms and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side until soft, cooked and lightly charred all over. Remove, then toast the buns until lightly brown, this should take 2-3 minutes.
- Spread the buns with the herbed ricotta and add a grilled portobello. Top with a spoonful of arugula slaw, then replace the bun lid and serve.