Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A non-dairy recipe from the International Veg. Union. I love grilled mushrooms, delicious over lightly toasted baguette slices.
- 3 big portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for brushing)
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 whole grain baguette, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- Clean the portabellas by wiping them with damp paper towels or a damp cloth. Remove the stems and chop them.
- Sautee the chopped stems and garlic in olive oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. You could do this ahead of time.
- Brush the tops of the portabellas lightly with olive oil and place them top down on a moderately hot BBQ grill for about ten minutes, until their edges show browned grill marks.
- Turn the mushrooms over and spread the stem and garlic mixture over their undersides (brush on some more olive oil too if you like). Grill for another five or so minutes.
- Remove the cooked mushrooms from the grill, drizzle with the remaining lemon juice and set them aside to cool down.
- Meanwhile slice your baguette and lightly toast them (this works for me on the top rack of the BBQ for just a few minutes).
- Once the mushrooms are cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters or slice them. Arrange the pieces on the slices of toasted baguette, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
This was so good on toast! Loved the lemon juice too. This made a nice breakfast. Thanks!