Recipe by Annacia
Executive chef Michel Stroot at the Golden Door in Escondido, California, fills grilled portabella mushrooms with whole-wheat couscous and rings them with bright red and yellow bell pepper sauces (you can use just one color if you like). He tops them with grilled asparagus; green onions work well in the winter. Serve with Pepper Coulis
- 4 portabella mushroom caps (4 to 5 in. wide, 4 to 6 oz. each)
- 8 green onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock (or used canned broth)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (or fresh basil leaves)
- pepper, coulis
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim off and discard any stems from mushroom caps; gently rinse caps and drain well. Rinse green onions; trim off and discard ends. In a small bowl, mix olive oil and lemon juice.
- Brush smooth sides of mushroom caps and the green onions with oil mixture. Lay mushrooms, smooth side down, and green onions on a grill over hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid if using a gas barbecue. Turn onions as needed until lightly browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes total. With tongs, transfer to a plate. Cook mushrooms without turning until they are limp and begin to release their juices, 3 to 5 minutes. With a wide spatula, transfer, smooth side down, to a 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
- Drizzle mushrooms evenly with vinegar and sprinkle with pepper. Add 1/4 cup vegetable stock to pan. Cover and bake in a 300° regular or convection oven until hot, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 1- to 2-quart pan over high heat, bring remaining 1/2 cup stock to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork. If it seems too dry, stir in 3 to 5 tablespoons liquid from mushroom caps. Stir in parsley.
- Set mushrooms, smooth side down, on plates. Top equally with couscous. Spoon pepper coulis equally around mushrooms and garnish with green onions. Add salt to taste.
- *PEPPER COULIS:.Recipe #460418.