Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great vegetarian sandwich. Can make on outdoor grill, panini press, or skillet. These are even better the next day. From Jenny :)
- 3 medium portabella mushroom caps
- 2 vidalia onions, sliced
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- Mix together oil, salt and pepper, and garlic. Marinate mushrooms and onions with this for about thirty minutes.
- Grill mushrooms and onions over medium heat until done, brushing on the oil mixture liberally throughout cooking time.
- Cut the bread open length-wise, brush it with the oil, then lightly toast on the grill.
- Layer on the onions and mushrooms. Press sandwich together for a few minutes (I usually use a frying pan to weigh it down).
- Cut into 6 pieces or so and serve.
Made this for lunch today. I did add a slice of provolone. Really enjoyed it.
This was part of our mini panini party. I spread out dozens of ingredients and posted the recipes nearby. Everyone enjoyed this dish, but many thought a few herbs would be great additions -- perhaps basil and oregano.
After reading previous reviews, I went ahead and sliced the mushrooms to let the seasoning get to the inside, and made this in a nonstick skillet, pressed with my heavy skillet lubed with some cooking spray. Worked like a charm! And the taste . . . Oh, heavenly. The bread I picked up was an artisanal sourdough loaf, and the sourness REALLY worked with the mushrooms and onions. Thank you so much for posting, made for ZWT4.