PSU Lioness's Note:
We serve this at Micheal's Cafe in Duncannon, PA. It's an original creation by our late, great executive chef and name sake, Mike. It's by far my favorite item on the menu. I eat it nearly every day that I work. My recipe is my cheap-o take on his recipe. Their's is MUCH better. The red pepper aioli can be made and held in the refrigerator for a little while and it's really great on anything. I use the store bought pesto (Classico, in a jar near the pasta sauces) since I've never attempted to make it myself. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 portabella mushroom cap, cleaned
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 slice smoked gouda cheese
- 1 pinch bean sprouts
- 1 teaspoon basil pesto (Classico)
- 1 hamburger bun with sesame seeds
red pepper aioli (use 2 teaspoons)
- 1Spray skillet and inside of buns with non-stick cooking spray. Grill in pan/skillet until lightly toasted.
- 2Heat olive oil in skillet. Grill mushroom until browned (about 5 minutes each side).
- 3Spread Red Pepper Aioli on bottom of bun.
- 4Put Portobello on top.
- 5Put Gouda Cheese on top of that.
- 6Put Bean Sprouts on top of that.
- 7Spread Basil Pesto on top of bun.
- 8You can also use panini bread and make these into paninis (like we do at the restaurant) if you have a panini press (which I'm too poor to buy).
- 9RED PEPPER AIOLI SAUCE.
- 103 garlic cloves, peeled and finely missed.
- 111/2 Cup fat-free mayo.
- 121/2 tsp salt.
- 131/4 tsp crushed red pepper.
- 141 large red pepper, diced and cooked well.
- 15Mix all ingredients in a food processor or extremely well in bowl until combined. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Portabella Sandwich With Gouda and Red Pepper Aioli
Serving Size: 1 (441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.9
- Calories from Fat 136
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 12.8 mg
- Sodium 2345.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 20.5 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked gouda cheese