Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
An amazing dish for a dinner party that is sure to impress. Low sugar and gives you one of your five a day.
for the vinaigrette
- 120 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
For the pesto
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 25 g pine nuts
- 30 g pistachios
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 150 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese or 1 tablespoon castelli cheese
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 4 cm discs mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 120 g breadcrumbs
- 2 beef tomatoes, blanched and sliced
- Place all the vinaigrette ingredients in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds. strain and refrigerate.
- For the pesto, Blitz all ingredients together into a coarse paste and set aside.
- Slice each mushroom horizontally and brush with olive oil. Place on a baking tray cut side up.
- Season the mozzarella with the oregano and dredge the pieces in flour followed by egg and then bread crumbs.
- Cook the mushroom tops and bases in a griddle pan for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the mozzarella slices until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Place a mushroom base on a place, add a slice of tomato and a mozzarella slab. Top with the mushroom lid and a good spoonful of pesto.
- Drizzle some vinaigrette and pesto round the tower to serve.