Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I've used this recipe for years....unfortunately I've forgotten the original source. It's a great dish to offer at a barbecue instead of the same tired old veggie burger. The marinade is very tart and makes a lovely grilled portabella sandwich, but it would also be delicious sliced and placed on top of a nice leafy green salad. I'm posting the recipe as copied onto a piece of paper years ago, but you'll notice the dressing instructions are incomplete - sorry! I usually just grill or broil these and eat them on a bun with some red onion, lettuce, and Vegenaise (vegan mayo), if available.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (I just use freshly ground black pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 portabella mushroom caps (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced onions
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced roasted garlic
- 6 whole wheat kaiser rolls or 6 hamburger buns
- 6 curly lettuce leaves
- 6 slices tomatoes
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add caps to the marinade. Seal and marinate in fridge up to 24 hours.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Remove caps and discard marinade. Place caps on grill rack or broiler coated with spray. Cook 5 minutes or until tender.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cover and cook ten minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. (at this point I assume you mix the onions and garlic into the mayo, but I've never actually used this step).
- Assemble grilled portabella sandwiches with one cap per bun, plus any lettuce, mayo, tomato, onion, or other garnish that you like. Or slice the portabellas into strips and enjoy as a topping for a mixed green salad with onion, tomato, etc.
Delish marinade. I did not try the dressing and just ate it straight up. Will def. try the dressing the next time I do these. Thanks for the keeper recipe!
The marinade was lovely, enjoyed every bite. I didn't try the dressing but since the first part was so good I may try the dressing at some point. I know I'll make this again.