Prep 5 mins
Cook 6 mins
Great as a burger replacement! Slice it up and top a bed of greens! Or mix it into a pasta with extra olive oil. Can be served hot or cold!
- 4 large fresh portabella mushroom caps
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shallots (minced) or 2 tablespoons red onions (minced)
- 3 fresh garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shaved fresh parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Place mushrooms in a quart size zip lock bag combine remaining ingredients except cheese and pour over the top of the mushrooms.
- Marinate for 1-2 hours, tossing once or twice.
- Remove from marinade and cook on hot grill for 3 minutes on each side watching carefully not to burn.
- Serve as a side dish, main course, or on a roll (burger substitute).
- Topped with shaved cheese.
I recently joined Weight Watchers and have been looking for delicious, filling, low point recipes and yours hit the mark. I made these as a substitute for hamburgers and they were awesome (I even had my brother-in-law raving about them and he's a meat eater). Excellent recipe!
Someone tagged these in Zaar Tag and I had just bought a package of 8 portabello mushrooms the night before while out grocery shopping, but hadn't decided what to do with them, but then I knew! Since I had 8 portabellos and Rita had mentioned they are very good in pasta salad, I went ahead and doubled the recipe hoping to have some left over for the next day for a pasta salad. I ended up not having enough time to search for a pasta salad recipe, so I created one of my own the next day on the fly, Pasta Salad--Inspired by Rita Pasta Salad--Inspired by Rita. The portabellos were great first time around and were also wonderful on the pasta salad just as Rita had promised they would be! I cooked them on the upper rack of our gas grill while I was cooking steaks and hoagie packs on the lower rack. I couldn't believe how well everything timed out together! Thanks for sharing such a delightful treat Rita!
Just had to add my praise to those already mentioned. These turned out to be fabulous!! I think it was the combo of the vinegar and cheese that did it. No matter what it was they were damn good. Thanks Rita.