Recipe by BrittanyS
This grilled portabella burger makes the perfect dinner for a vegetarian or flexitarian. The portabella mushroom actually completely replaces the meat in this burger. The result is a filling burger that is juicy, meaty and lower in fat and calories.
- 1 large portabella mushroom
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 ounce low-fat cheese
- 1 whole wheat hamburger bun
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 6 -8 baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stem from portabella mushroom. Discard or reserve for later use.
- On a preheated barbecue, place portabella mushroom gill side down. Slather top of mushroom with 1/2 tbsp of barbecue sauce. Grill for 5 minutes.
- Turn portabella mushroom over, and slather with remaining 1/2 tbsp of barbecue sauce. Grill another 3 minutes.
- Place cheese on top of mushroom, and grill another 1-2 minutes or just until the cheese is melted. If you like your hamburger bun toasted, you may wish to place it on the grill at this time.
- Remove mushroom (and bun) from the grill. Place mushroom on bun, top with tomato and spinach. If using, spread mayo on top half of bun. Serve hot with fries, or other grilled veggies.