Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Juicy portabella burgers which can be made vegetarian by omitting the bacon. My neighbor made delicious portabella-bacon burgers and this is what my husband and I have morphed it into lately. Could be made healthier by omitting the bacon and going light on the cheese and using whole-wheat burger buns. But we usually go for the not-so-healthy full package of bacon and yummy fresh ciabatta or focaccia from the bakery. Can substitute (uncooked) tomato slices with fresh basil leaves for red peppers.
- Wash portabella caps, place upside down on large baking tray, pour dressing and sprinkle garlic over them (does not need to be submerged in marinade). I sort of smear a bit of dressing around the other side of the portabella to coat.
- Halve and hollow out peppers, coat with some of the dressing/garlic and place alongside the portabellas. Set the tray aside.
- Cook the bacon. Simplest way is to arrange strips in baking tray and broil ~10 mins in oven (Warning: Burns easily).
- Slice mozzarella ball into thick pieces.
- Place pepper halves on grill for 5-10 mins and then add portabellas (~5-10 mins on each side), then place slices of cheese on portabellas until melted.
- Lightly toast rolls/bread/buns, and stack the portabella with melted cheese, bacon, and pepper half inside.