Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
In these tacos, strips of meaty grilled portabella join up with grilled onions and poblano peppers, and then get a quick toss with smoky chipotle powder and tangy lime juice to create a taco filling so flavourful and satisfying that even the most devoted of meat eaters won't complain.
Pico de Gallo
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 finely minced garlic clove
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
Grilled Portabella Filling
- 4 medium portabella mushrooms or 1 lb portabella mushroom
- 1 small red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 whole poblano chile
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
Assembly and Toppings
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- fresh cilantro stem
- lime wedge
- monterey jack cheese (Shredded) or cheddar cheese (Shredded)
- Preheat a lightly oiled grill on medium-high heat.
- While the grill is heating up, prepare the pico de gallo. In a small mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, cilantro, garlic, salt and lime juice. Set aside.
- Next, prepare the grilled portabella filling. Remove the stems from the portabellas, and discard. Using a spoon, scrape out the dark gills from the underside of the mushroom caps.
- Lightly brush the portabellas and the onions on both sides with canola oil, and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the mushrooms, onion, and poblano on the hot grill, and cook for 5-6 minutes per side or until the mushrooms are softened and the onion is lightly charred. Remove from heat and transfer to a cutting board.
- Remove the stem and seeds from the poblano, and discard. Cut the poblano and the portabellas into thin strips, and roughly chop the onion. Transfer to a mixing bowl and toss with lime juice and chipotle powder until well coated.
- To assemble, arrange 2 tortillas per plate, and divide the mushroom filling evenly between them. Serve with pico de gallo and bowls of the different toppings so that everyone can garnish their tacos as they please.