Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Souvlaki (soo-vlah-kee) is the term used to describe “little skewers” of meat that are marinated in a wonderful red wine marinade and then grilled. Souvlakia are traditionally wrapped in pita bread and then topped with a variety of condiments - lettuce, tomato, onion, and of course, the famed tzatziki sauce. They are also quite delicious without the pita and trimmings. You will need to plan ahead and allow at least 2 – 3 hours for the meat to really absorb the flavors. This marinade recipe is for a pound of pork shoulder and will yield about 4 (9 inch) skewers. You can multiply it according to your group size.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and minced finely
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled into tiny pieces
- 1 lb pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 1/4 inch cubes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- lemon (for serving)
- In a large non-reactive bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together. Add the pork cubes, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- If using wooden skewers, soak these in a shallow pan filled with water while the meat marinates.
- Heat the grill to medium high. Thread the meat on to the skewers (about 6-7 pieces per skewer). Season the pork with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grill over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally until they are cooked through. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the skewers before serving.
This was a nice simple recipe to throw togther in the morning and cook in the evening. The meat turned out very tender and juicey. I served it with Avocado Tzatziki. I did have a slightly bitter flavor, but it was most likely something I did to it. Made for The Hot Pink Panthers, ZWT 9.