Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Mark Bittman, NY Times's columnist and cookbook author.
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter, preferably chunky
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, more to taste
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 limes, 1 juiced the other cut into wedges for garnish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless pork shoulder (or pork loin)
- In a blender, combine everything except the pork and lime wedge garnish; process to a smooth paste.
- Place about 1/2 the mixture in a large bowl, reserving the rest for a dipping sauce.
- Cut pork into 1 inch cubes and combine with the peanut butter mixture in the bowl; toss to coat.
- Place the meat on skewers, begin sure not to crowd.
- Grill pork until browned on all sides, about 5 to 8 minutes in total.
- Serve with dipping sauce and lime wedges.
We really enjoyed our dinner tonight! Thank you so much. I made this as directed. The peanut marinade/sauce is great! (I did use "creamy"... that's all I had). I do plan to use it when I make chicken satay for Labor Day. I have to admit, we were low on propane for our grill, so I baked them in the oven and switched it up to broil for the last couple of minutes when I basted. Worked out fine! I served the remaining reserved marinade/sauce at the dinner table. I served this with Recipe #505768, and it was a good pairing. Hubby actually put his skewered pork into his rice bowl to eat it. Thank you for posting this delightful dish. Will definitely make it again. (Made for ZWT9)
I loved the peanut sauce. Very creamy and good. Quick and easy to do. Made for ZWT7.
Wonderful dish! The sauce/marinade was excellent. I thought it might be too much basil, but the creamy, slightly spicy sauce and the fresh basil came together to make a very flavorful and aromatic dipping sauce for the skewers, different from your "everyday" peanut sauce. We thoroughly enjoyed this and I'll be making it again. It will be yummy in the summer with a fresh fruit salad! Made for ZWT 7 - Shady Ladies