Recipe by JenJenMarie
This recipe is from Anne Burrell on the Food Network. I have not tried it yet, but it looked good when she made it! The is for the dough only.
Top Review by buddy3229
This dough is easy & awesome! We have used it since seeing it on her show both in oven and grill. I have even frozen the dough for later use. We used it for a Halloween get-together where each couple made their own creation. Grilled the dough on both sides lightly, topped and finished off either in oven or grill depending on space. If grilling, soak some wood chips and throw them in before grilling for a great smoke taste to your crust.
- 1⁄2 cup warm tap water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl add the warm (this activates the yeast. If the water is too hot the yeast will die and if the water is too cold the yeast will not activate) tap water add the dry yeast and the sugar and stir to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes. The top of the water will bubble and it will smell very yeasty, this is what you want.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the olive oil and the yeast/water mixture. Using a fork gradually stir the flour into the yeast/water mix. Once most of the flour has combined, turn the dough out to a smooth clean work surface and use your hands to knead the dough to a smooth consistency.
- Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place for at least 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Portion the dough into golf ball size rounds. Using a rolling pin, roll each dough into a rectangle, I like irregular shapes. If not using the dough right away, wrap each 1 in plastic wrap and reserve until ready to use. If using the dough right away grill each dough on both sides so there are grill marks and the dough is stiff and crisp.
- Add desired toppings and bake in oven until cheese melts.