Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful grilled pizza that does not have any tomatoes/tomato sauce!! The dough for this recipe is #182309, make 1 big pizza or lots of small ones. When we made this in class, we blew-up our eggplant so we had to use roasted red peppers in its place.(If you are roasting in a brick oven, PIERCE the eggplant before roasting to prevent the explosion and HUGE mess.) It was VERY good, so if you don't have any eggplant but do have some peppers USE THEM....just roast them first. Drizzle the finished pizza with some Basil Oil for a REAL treat.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms.
- Slice the mushrooms and saute in a medium skillet with a Tbs or so of oive oil, over medium high heat.
- Lightly salt and pepper the mushrooms.
- Roast the eggplant whole directly over a gas flame or on the grill, turning to blacken the skin.
- Set the eggplant aside to cool enough to handle and peel of the skin.
- Dice the flesh of the eggplant and lightly salt and toss with lemon zest and juice.
- Form the pizzas and lightly flour, place on the backs of a lightly floured sheet pan.
- Lightly brush the tops of the pizzas with olive oil, being careful not to get any oil on the pan. Doing so will "glue" the pizza to the sheet pan, making it challenging to get off and onto the grill.
- Place the pizzas on the preheated grill, oiled side down then brush the top side with a little olive oil.
- Close the lid and cook for 5 min or until the pizza rises and has browned.
- Flip the pizza over, brush with olive oil and top with mushrooms, eggplant and cheese crumbles (as much as you like).
- Close the lid and continue to cook until the cheese melts.
- Remove from grill, place on a cutting board and drizzle with a little more olive oil or you favorite flavored oil.
- Cut and serve.