Recipe by Derf
This was so much fun!! and so good!! Can't wait to do it again. Stretching the dough instead of rolling it makes it nicely uneven, creating crispy textures. We topped with sliced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, tender crisp asparagus and parmesan cheese, sprinkled with oregano and thyme. We just used one dough ball. from the local newspaper.
Top Review by TJ-Montana
Excellent flavor! I used another recipezaar recipe for the dough itself, and italian-herb seasoned hamburger with diced salami and chopped tomatoes for the topping, under mozzarella/cheddar blend. The seasoning and method of this recipe were wonderful - with one word of caution. ***Please make sure you don't have even small puddles of the olive oil seasoning on your pizza crust when you flip it - I did, and the resulting instant fireball from my gas BBQ grill removed some of my eyelashes and required a haircut on my bangs to even out the burned edges! Possibly, I'm a dork... but it just didn't register beforehand. sigh. I'm still giving it 5 stars, how's that for a great tasting recipe?!
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen bread dough
toppings of your choice
- sliced tomatoes
- fresh asparagus
- shaved parmesan cheese
- herbs (etc)
For the seasoning
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- chopped tomato (optional)
- chopped onion (optional)
- chopped fresh basil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- to make the seasoning: In a small ssaucepan combine all the seasoning ingredients. Whisk over low heat just until warm and oil becomes fragrant. Remove from heat and let rest for 2 hours at room temperature.
- The Pizza bread: Lightly flour the back of a 15 x 10 inch baking sheet and one of the pizza dough balls. Stretch out the dough to the size of the baking sheet. Place the stretched dough on the back of the baking sheet.
- Stir the seasoned oil and liberally brush the surface of the dough. Turn the baking sheet (like a big spatula) with the dough directly onto cooking grate. Remove the baking sheet and liberally brush the top side of the dough with the seasoned oil.
- Grill over direct medium heat until the underside of the dough is marked, 1 to 3 minutes. Don't worry if the crust bubbles, it will deflate when turned over.
- Slide the dough onto the baking sheet and flip the ungrilled side onto the grill. Brush the top with more oil and continue to grill for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill and cool slightly on a cooling rack. Add toppings, return to grill, close lid and grill to desired doneness (cheese melts etc.) Repeat grilling procedure for 2 remaining balls of dough.