Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is another amazingly simple recipe from Everyday Italian. I LOVE grilled fruit....it just makes the flavors of the fruit "pop." This isn't one of those "do ahead" deserts, it needs to be served as soon as it is prepared......but you can prep ahead by slicing the pineapple, and mixing up the mascarpone mixture and the Nutella mixture, and having them ready. Or, if your house is like mine, the kitchen is where everyone hangs out anyways...so put them to work mixing stuff while you grill the pineapple. Would also be great dessert for a summer barbecue, since the pineapple could be grilled outside on the grill.
- 2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut crosswise into 1/2 thick slices
- 2⁄3 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional) or 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup nutella
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Whisk the mascarpone cheese, vanilla and sugar till smooth and blended.
- Set aside (For ease of serving, I scoop into a ziploc bag, and seal. Then when it's serving time, I just snip the corner and drizzle thin streaks of it all over the pineapple slices.).
- Combine the Nutella with cream in a small saucepan, and stir constantly over low heat for about 5 minutes, till satiny smooth, and easy to pour.
- Set aside.
- Grill pineapple slices in a grill pan sprayed with Pam over medium heat.
- (you can also cook at medium high heat on BBQ, using Pam, also) Grill slices about 3 minutes per side, so you get those nice"grill marks.
- "Arrange the pineapple on a large platter or shallow serving dish.
- Drizzle Nutella over the pineapple.
- then snip the corner of the bag, and drizzle the mascarpone over the top.
- Sprinkle the hazelnuts over the top, and serve immediately.
I absolutely love this dessert. It's perfectly sweet, and the pineapple tastes so nice when it's warm. I've made this for my family, and they've all enjoyed it well.
excellent!!! i used walnuts instead of hazelnuts since that's what i had, and i omitted the whipping cream. very tasty dish, will make again and again! thanks elissa!
I just made this after getting my everyday italian cookbook. This is wonderful and a great way to break in our grille this weekend.