Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Watched the Take Home Chef make this dish and it looked so scrumptious, that I had to post it.
FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy unsweetened coconut cream
FOR THE PINEAPPLE
- 2⁄3 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into twenty 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- TO MAKE THE CARAMEL SAUCE:.
- Stir the sugar and water in a heavy based small sauce pan over a medium heat for about 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer the melted sugar without stirring for about 8 minutes or until it becomes golden brown, wiping down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to remove any sugar crystals and swirling the pan occasionally.
- Once the sugar has turned golden brown, add the coconut cream and stir to blend (the mixture will bubble vigorously when the cream is added).
- Watch your hands!
- Simmer over a medium to low heat for about 3 minutes or until the caramel melts and the sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove the coconut caramel sauce from the heat and pour it into a serving bowl.
- TO TOAST THE COCONUT:.
- Preheat the broiler to low heat.
- Sprinkle the coconut evenly over a baking sheet.
- Broil the coconut for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until it is lightly golden.
- Watch the coconut closely while it broils to ensure it does not burn since it will cook quite quickly.
- Transfer the toasted coconut to a plate.
- TO COOK THE PINEAPPLE SKEWERS:.
- Thread 1 piece of pineapple on the end of each skewer, making 20 skewers (if using wooden skewers ~ soak for 30 before because if not they will catch on fire).
- Heat a cast iron grill pan over medium to high heat until it is very hot.
- Brush the pan with a little melted butter and grill the pineapple for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until it is heated through and grill marks appear.
- Remove the pineapple skewers from the pan and place them on a serving platter.
- Serve the pineapple skewers with the caramel sauce and toasted coconut alongside.
- The skewers are designed to be dipped into the caramel sauce and then into the toasted coconut.
- Enjoy this romantic dessert!
I love making this especially when I am having a bbq. Using fresh ingredients is always best but I sometimes use canned pineapple and sweetened coconut and it comes out god. Thanks for posting it saves me the trouble.