Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I think this recipe came from Canadian Living magazine, but am not sure. The whole meal (which is comprised of Lemongrass Pork, Grilled Pineapple Salad, Coconut Thai Rice and Tropical Fruit With Lime) embodies the Thai tradition of combining all the five tastes: sweet, hot, sour, salty and bitter in one meal.
- 1 pineapple
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- DRESSING: In a small saucepan, heat sugar, oil, lime juice, fish sauce, garlic and hot pepper sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally, just until sugar is dissolved. Let cool completely.
- With a sharp knife, cut off crown and base of pineapple; cut off skin. With tip of knife, remove pineapple eyes; cut pineapple crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place on greased grill over medium heat; close lid and cook, turning once for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender and browned. Let cool.
- Cut each slice into quarters, trimming off core; place in large bowl. Add dressing, red pepper, onion, coriander and mint; toss to coat well. (Salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 8 hours; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes).
- If you wish to make this for a vegetarian or vegan simply use the soy sauce option.
This sauce ROCKS! Grilled the pineapple on gas grill - easy peasy. Made the sauce using sweet white onion, garlic & mint (peppermint & spearmint) from the garden. Doubled the sauce & poured it still warm over a big bowl of finely shredded garden pointy head cabbage. Tossed in the onion - finely sliced & grilled pineapple pieces & some of that "Rooster" Sirachi. This is outrageously good! Let rest for 10 minutes then we tore into it. This is a keeper - perfectly balanced - delicious! Served with Thai roasted chicken (marinated with basil & Thai spices). Will be making often! Thank you 2B's for a great one!