Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Barbecue USA. To set up a three-zone fire on a charcoal grill, rake half the lit coals into a double layer on one-third of the bottom grate. The rest of the coals go in a single layer in the center; the other third of the grate should have no coals. This gives you three different heat zones--a hot zone for searing, a medium zone for cooking, and a safety zone for holding food. Prep time includes marinating time.
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 1-inch long peeled and finely grated
- 1 very ripe pineapple, peeled. cored, and cut into 36 chunks
- 12 slices bacon, cut crosswise into thirds
- 36 sprigs fresh herbs (cilantro, mint, or whatever you wish)
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a nonreactive bowl.
- Add pineapple and stir.
- Let marinate 1 hour.
- Drain marinade and strain into a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Wrap each pineapple piece with an herb sprig and a piece of bacon.
- Secure the bacon with a bamboo skewer or a wooden toothpick.
- Can be prepared several hours ahead up to this point.
- Set up grill for three-zone grilling and preheat (see intro for instructions).
- Brush and oil the grill grate.
- If using skewers, fold a length of aluminum foil in half lengthwise and place on grate on the edge closest to you, so that it covers all three heat zones. (You will not need the foil if using toothpicks; it's to keep the ends of the skewers from burning.).
- Place rumaki on hot zone. If using skewers, make sure the ends are on top of the foil shield. Do this in batches if necessary.
- Grill until bacon is crisp, 2-3 minutes on each side, basting with the reserved marinade syrup.
- Move to medium or cool zone if the bacon fat causes flareups.
- Serve drizzled with any remaining glaze.
- If using toothpicks, be sure to take them out!
Most definately a 5 star. I will make this again