Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is quick and easy, and a make ahead wonder appetizer. Simple store bought crackers - now I like "Cinnamon Wheat Thins," but there are many other brands. Last time I went to the store, there were 4 different brands, and Whole Foods and other specialty stores carry even more. A creamy cream cheese and nut date filling and topped with sweet grilled pineapple. I often serve these little bites on a dessert tray.
- 8 slices fresh pineapple (1/4-inch thick, core removed)
- 3 teaspoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts (fine chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup pitted dates (fine chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Hazelnuts -- I like to toast mine first. In a small saute pan over medium high heat for just 1 minute. Make sure to use a dry pan and just keep an eye of them. Just a minute or two is all it takes. Remove and fine chop.
- Cheese Spread -- Add the toasted nuts, dates and cream cheese along with the brown sugar and mix well. Make ahead and set to the side.
- Pineapple -- This again, I make to the side and just keep refrigerated. This should be grilled - Inside grill pan or outside grill, but a broiler will work.
- Marinade the pineapple slices in the orange juice and brown sugar for 1-2 hours. Then grill on medium high heat. As you grill the pineapple, brush with the marinade until golden brown. They should take around 4-5 minutes at the most per side. Remove and let cool. Cut in bite size pieces which will fit on the cracker. You will usually get 6 or so bites per slice. I like to reheat these right before you top the cracker. Just 30 seconds in the microwave it all it takes.
- Crackers -- Simply spread the cream cheese on the cinnamon cracker and top with a pineapple slice. Light and easy.