Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Vera's Cafe, Augusta, GA. This is a good one.
- 10 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 16 slices marbled rye bread
- 16 slices tomatoes (cut 1/4 inch thick)
- 16 slices bacon, cooked crisp and drained
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread 8 slices (buttered side down) with about 1/4 cup pimento cheese.
- For each sandwich: lay bread slice, buttered side down/cheese side up, in a large skillet.
- Add 2 slices tomato and 2 bacon strips, then cover the sandwich with slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Over medium heat, grill each sandwich until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer sandwich to a plate; slice in half on the diagonal and serve immediately.