Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
recipe adapted from Chris Schlesinger
- 907.18 g portabella mushrooms, as large as you can find them, stemmed
- 78.07 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 59.14 ml freshly cracked black pepper
- kosher salt
For the dressing
- 118.29 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Build a multi-level fire in your grill: Leaving one-quarter of the bottom free of coals, bank the coals in the remaining three-quarters of the grill so that they are three times as high on one side as on the other.
- When the coals are all ignited and the temperature has died down to medium (you can hold your hand about 5 inches above the grill grid, over the area where the coals are deepest, for 4 to 5 seconds) you’re ready to cook.
- Rub the mushrooms with the olive oil and then with the black pepper, then sprinkle generously with salt.
- Put them on the grill and cook until they are tender and slightly seared, 6 to 8 minutes per side.
- (To check for doneness, nick, peek, and cheat: Cut into one of the mushrooms and peek to be sure it looks moist all the way through, rather than dry at the center.).
- While the mushrooms are cooking, whisk the dressing ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- When the mushrooms are done, take them off the grill, cut them into thick slices, add to the bowl with the dressing, toss gently to coat, and serve warm.